New Runner?

I was recently asked what five advice I would give to a person just starting out to run.  I gave my five advice and went on my merry way.  This morning on my morning run--in the rain--I reflected more on that question as well as the responses I gave.  Of course I had to blog about it--hey, how often do topics pop into my head.  Anyway, I thought I would give those five advice to a beginner runner, but giving those five advice to myself when I was starting out to run.  As it turns out, however, I had only three important advice to give to a beginner runner. The rest is just supplemental advice, like "running doesn't give you the right to overeat", things like that.

Advice #1:  Buy proper shoes for the way you run.

Let's be honest:  running is easy--even little kids do it.  Any old sport shoe will be fine for running.  I'm not planning to run a marathon anyway.  You might be thinking the exact same things as I did when I first started out.  There's a reason why I placed this advice first: it's because your running shoes are the most important piece of equipment you will have as a runner.  Forget about the fancy GPS watch, your fancy water belt, or your neoprene cellphone holder.  As a runner, you will always wear your running shoes before wearing any sort of fancy gadgets out there on the market, period.

When I started out, I bought a pair of Nike Air Pegasus from Footlocker.  I got lucky because the Air Pegasus were built for newbies.  Here's what I would've told myself:  buy your shoes from the local running shoe store.  So why would you buy your running shoes from a local--LOCAL--running shoe store rather than Footlocker, Wal-Mart, or any other place which sells running shoe much cheaper than a running store boutique?  Apart from the obvious, remember that your running shoes are the most important equipment you will have as a runner.  Do not skimp on this point.  Specialty running stores will have employees who are knowledgeable about the shoes they sell.  In Eugene, Oregon, there is the Eugene Running Company where they have a treadmill in the store.  They ask customers who want to buy shoes for their first time to run on the treadmill to see how they actually run--they videotape your running gait from behind.  Based on how you run--not based on how I run or Meb Keflezighi, the winner of the 2014 Boston Marathon.  Eugene Running Company will offer you several shoe models that fit the way you run.  Other running shoe stores will watch you run in the store.

I was at Footlocker many years ago and I overheard a man asking the salesperson what EVA stood for on a pair of running shoe he had in his hand. The salesperson had no idea, but at least he was honest about it.  I currently wear Asics GT-2000 series for marathon training.  It's one of the few shoes that are still board lasted for my orthotics.  Here's a link to the Runner's World Shoe Finder.



Advice #2:  You don't have to run fast.

Maybe this is a guy thing, but I thought I had to run fast in order to run.  Really.  As a beginner, I would've told myself to just get out there and run comfortably.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to run to exhaustion as a beginner--or a veteran for that matter.  Just like a run, ease into it.  Take walking breaks if you have to.  The most important thing in all of this:  just get out and run.  "Just Do It" as Nike instructs.  Speed will come in time.  As a beginner, just get your body used to running and build up your cardio endurance.

Let me let you in on a little secret:  in marathon training, your easy days are the important glue that sticks the hard days together.  Speed training takes a lot of work for any event be it a 5K or a marathon.  As a beginner, just concentrate on getting out the door.  Later, if you feel ambitious, you can start training for a local race. My first race?  The Truffle Shuffle (2 mile event) in Eugene, Oregon.  Every participant got a free truffle.  Surprisingly, I won in my age group three years in a row which meant more truffles!

Advice #3:  Run in the right direction.

Just this morning, I ran into--not literally--another runner on the road.  She was running in the direction of the traffic.  This is not very smart.  I also noticed that she had headphones dangling around her neck--at least she wasn't listening to music as she was running on the wrong side of the road.  On my runs along the bike path here in Montréal, I notice some runners as well as walkers again on the wrong side of the bike path, facing oncoming bike traffic.

Are you confused about which side you should run on?  Let's clear this up.  On the road with cars:  face oncoming traffic.  Why?  You want to be able to see cars so you can avoid them, especially a driver who might be drunk or inattentive.  You can't see them if they're coming up behind you even if you can hear them coming.  On the bike path:  run with the bike traffic.  Why?  Bicyclists pass on the left hand side.  Bicyclist can see you as well as other oncoming bicyclists and pass you on the left hand side when it's convenient to do.  In Eugene, Oregon, bicyclists are courteous enough to let you know ahead of time that they will be passing by shouting out, "Passing on your left."  This is to let you know to stay on your course as they make their pass.

Music. It's great to listen to music while you run. Music keeps you energized and keeps you going.  This is great...for the treadmill.  On the treadmill, you don't have car or bike traffic to worry about when you're running.  As a safety precaution, ditch your music for outside runs.  Your safety should come first.  Running without music will let you listen to your body as well as clear your mind.   Save your music for the treadmill where you will really need the distraction--yawn!

New to running?  Just get out there, run and breathe.  When you get back, remember this:  you're a runner!

Comments