Post Marathon Blues

It's currently July 19th, 2014 as I'm writing this.  I just finished running an easy 10 miler this morning, but during the week I have been wondering about what to do after the Montréal Marathon is done, the 28th of September.  Oh yes, I will celebrate with the usual all-you-can-eat sushi, a bag of potato chips, and a pint of chocolate and peanut butter ice cream, but what about training.  I'm afraid of gaining back the weight I lost from marathon training--my "small" button-down shirts are feeling roomy.

I have been enjoying the regularity of marathon training--I only get one day off out of the week from running.  My legs are strong and my cardio is keeping up--except for that one tempo run day which still leaves me baffled.  I have been watching what I eat yet "splurging" every now and then, but not to any extreme.  So once all of this marathon hoopla is done, what then?  I've written about this dilemma in another post.  I will take some time off from running, but I'd like to get back into it if I was training for another race.  There aren't many races going on here in Montréal in the late fall and especially during winter.  In Oregon, I was blessed to be able to train outdoor all year long.  I could train for a 5k in April--the long runs I can do on the treadmill.

Throughout all this, I realize that I've become an avid marathon runner--even though it takes a lot of dedication and time.  I noticed that almost every year I have been running a marathon as my main event, the one race that is the focus of all these crazy miles that you see me post on my Facebook page.  I will most likely write about the result of my marathon performance as well as the subsequent now-what-am-I-doing after the marathon; maybe by then, I will have figured out what I will be doing for the fall and winter months.  Meanwhile, if you have any ideas what I should do after the marathon let me know--yes, I know there are some smarties out there, but go ahead.  Give me your best shot!  Until then, I will be running and enjoying being called a marathon runner.

Comments