Let's Talk about Flatulence

Flatulence, most commonly known as a "fart" or "gas".  It's common enough.  Everyone has it and everyone has passed gas at least, at least, once in their life whether they admit it or not.  If you're a runner, the risk of farting while on the run is even more common.  Think about it:  things are moving around in there as you take your body through the running motion.  Things are bound to find their way out through the digestive maze.  While running outdoors, it's not a problem to just "let one out" and run on jet propulsion, as I affectionately call it.  But what does one do when they're in the middle of a tempo run...on the treadmill...at the gym--yes, with a lot people around.  And, yes, this happened to me last Thursday in the middle of a tempo run at the gym.  There were several times when I just wanted to quit the workout altogether.  I made frequent stops to go the restroom, but let me be honest with you:  some did manage to find its way out.  I apologize to those around me--but if you thought it was the old guy on the elliptical, yes it was him!

I did manage to finish my tempo run, but probably not at the most optimal speed that I should have run; however, I wanted to finish the workout in whatever speed I can at that point.  I was disappointed, but I noted it so I can learn to avoid this situation.  I talked to André about what happened and he mentioned to me, "It's the pasta you ate the night before!  You need to go back to eating gluten-free pasta."  That's when the light bulb came on.

The last two marathons that I've run, André introduced me to another level of carbo-loading:  three days of carbo-loading before the marathon.  Last year, he had me eat gluten-free pasta the night before a long run as well as doing the three-day carbo-load gluten-free.  It worked!  I didn't feel bloated or gaseous for my runs.
So now, even in the early stages of the Hanson's Marathon Method, I need to pay careful attention to my diet--"diet" in the sense of what and how I eat, not in the sense of "having to give up certain foods so I can lose weight".

Stay tuned for more marathon training insights from a midpacker.  Take care, people!

Comments